“When Fighting One Thousand, Think of One.”
Realisation of life comes in
an instant. It is not always born from prolonged thought processes or
intense focus. Of course, these are essential qualities and necessary for
mastery, but reality often flashes before us in the blink of an eye.
During my training days, I was
fortunate to learn from a Sensei from Japan who was stationed in my country for
work and was kind enough to share his knowledge of Aikido with our young and
enthusiastic team seeking a systemised path of learning. Sensei Shinji
Yoshiura was a man of real discipline and a devoted follower of the
fundamentals of Bushido.
One day, I was sitting in the front line listening to Sensei’s explanation of a technique.(I should mention that, after years of regular practice, I had earned the title of senior practitioner ,Sempai.) In a parallel hall, another class was practising Judo. For some reason, my eyes briefly shifted to the right and then immediately back to Sensei. It could only have been for a fraction of a second.
The next thing I heard was, “Guru
San! Please explain what I just said now.” The stern voice of my Sensei cut
through the room. Fortunately, I managed to explain the essence of his
teaching. But what came next was the realisation.
“Practice Is Here… Not There.”
Sensei’s awareness extended
across every single student. Even the slightest movement of an eye that caused
distraction was noticed. I was awestruck. At the same time, it became the
moment I began to understand the art of unwavering attention and awareness. Was
this connected to collective consciousness, or perhaps to the famous saying
that I have always closely related to:
“WHEN FIGHTING ONE THOUSAND,
THINK OF ONE.”
In martial arts and modern
philosophy, this describes intense focus. It perfectly reflects the traditional
samurai belief that the mind should never be overwhelmed by the chaos of the
battlefield. By focusing only on the singular opponent directly in front of you or the one task at hand, a warrior maintains clarity.
“WHEN ENGAGING WITH ONE, THINK
OF A THOUSAND.”
If you hold a thousand men in
your mind, your spirit will not be daunted. Even if the enemy stands in
thousands, fulfilment lies in standing against them with the determination to
cut through them all, one by one, beginning from one end.

No comments:
Post a Comment